Following a shooting on Friday night at a Cleveland, Texas, home that left five people dead, including an 8-year-old child, a suspect is still at large.
Four of the victims were discovered dead inside a home on Walters Road in the Trails End neighborhood, according to a statement released by the San Jacinto County Sheriff’s Office on Saturday, April 29.
On Friday, April 28, at 11:31 p.m. local time, a complaint of harassment was made to the San Jacinto County Sheriff’s Office regarding the town of Cleveland, which is located about 55 miles north of Houston.
The communications center “received multiple 911 calls of an active shooter incident at the dispatch location while we were en route,” according to the agency.
Two of the deceased were men and three were girls, including an 8-year-old kid who was the youngest. According to officials, two female victims were found in the bedroom sleeping on top of two living children.
According to police, they think the slaughter happened as a result of neighbors’ requests for the suspect to cease firing his rifle in the front yard because a baby was attempting to go asleep.
“From what I hear, the victims approached the fence and asked, ‘Hey, why don’t you shoot out in the yard? Greg Capers, the sheriff for San Jacinto County, told KTRK that the man had been drinking when he said, “I’ll do what I want to in my front yard,” while the infant was attempting to fall asleep.
Capers told KTRK that the situation soon escalated from harassment to a gunshot. He said the gunman had consumed alcohol that evening; originally, police dispatchers had verified this.
Authorities, according to him, think that some of the victims were attempting to protect their children because bodies were discovered on top of undamaged youngsters.
According to sheriff Greg Capers, the dead victims, who varied in age from 8 to 40, were all from Honduras. He further said that every deceased had been shot “almost execution style” from the neck up.
The hospital received three casualties. Two other people in the house were examined on the spot and then discharged.
Capers thinks that all 10 residents of the house cohabited, with four to five of them having recently moved there from Houston. The gunman is a Mexican national, while the victims are all of Honduran heritage.
Francisco Oropeza, 38, the suspect who was named by the sheriff, is thought to have left the county. He was given a warrant for his arrest, and the court set his bail at $5 million. He is accused of killing five people.