According to the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), MTN, Airtel, Glo, and 9mobile will introduce a new, uniform set of shortcodesMTN, Airtel, Glo, and 9mobile will introduce a new, uniform set of shortcodes for all of their services.
The major telecoms providers in Nigeria will stop using different shortcodes as of May 17, 2023, to carry out tasks like data balance, airtime recharge, etc. However, all telecoms will use the same code for these services under this new, harmonised strategy.
The previous MTN, Airtel, Glo, and 9mobile subscriber codes will no longer work as of May 17, 2023, thus customers are urged to become familiar with the new numbers for various services.
As part of the NCC’s regulatory modernization programme, this shortcode standardisation is anticipated to raise user experience standards.
New unified codes for MTN, Airtel, Glo, 9Mobile
- 300 is the code for Call Centre/Help Desk on all mobile networks
- 301 for voice Mail Deposit
- 302 for Voice Mail Retrieval
- 303 for Borrow Services
- 305 for STOP Service;
- 310 for Check Balance
- 3111 is for credit recharge.
- 312 is for Data Plan
- 321 is for Share services.
- 323 is for Data Plan Balance
- 996 is now for verification of subscriber identity module (SIM) registration or NIN-SIM linkage.
- 2442 is retained for Do-Not-Disturb (DND) unsolicited messaging complaint management.
- 3232 is also retained for porting services, otherwise called mobile number portability.